Atlanta, GA | 12/31/1969
Underground Atlanta is a shopping and entertainment district near the intersection of the east and west MARTA (rapid rail) lines in the heart of downtown Atlanta. The complex takes advantage of viaducts built over the city’s many railroad tracks in the early 1900’s to accommodate automobile traffic. The old railroad Depot which sits at the entrance to Underground precedes the Civil War. Underground Atlanta has experienced a long and bumpy history from expansion to abandonment to rejuvenation.
In 1989, Underground Atlanta reopened after a $100 million dollar renovation by the City of Atlanta, which included the construction of two new parking garages. The two garages with a total of 1,250 spaces were constructed to serve visitors to the Underground Atlanta entertainment and shopping complex as well as nearby county and government buildings, the World of Coca-Cola venue, and other businesses in the area. Parking Company of America was awarded the Parking Management Contract in 1989, and both garages were operated by PCA until April 2002 when both Underground and the garages were turned over to a major developer as part of a major project in the area.
PCA’s management responsibilities commenced prior to the opening in 1989 and included direct involvement in both the design and logistics for the garages. PCA assisted with:
· Traffic flow design
· Parking equipment selection, procurement and installation
· Development of a color coding system throughout the garages to allow customers to easily locate their vehicles.
As part of its management obligations, PCA contracted with a security firm to provide security at both Underground Garages. PCA’s management staff supervised the firm to ensure effective security coverage, and PCA also initiated coordination among other businesses as well as the local police to enhance security throughout the entire area.